Wednesday, December 21, 2011

EWS = Essay 2 = It is true...

This essay is completely fictional.

It is true that public speaking builds confidence, but it is also true that to be able to speak for what you believe when no one else does builds character.

There have been a number of public-speaking competitions that I took part in. The feeling I would get when I would be up on stage, delivering paragraph after paragraph of researched and prepared work, would be worth a million dollars. I would know that what I’m saying is true and I had reference of other scholars who have stated the same the thing to support my arguments. There was an inter-school debate competition that I worked day and night for. My topic was in favor of the government policies of our country. Every day I would practice my speech and modify it here and there, trying to make it perfect. The day of the competition, as I went up on stage and I looked around at my audience, I knew that they would fall under the spell I would create by my practiced lines and I was confident that I was one of the best speakers among the other candidates. I had felt great and a little foolish as well. I felt foolish because it seemed as if I was an actor, entertaining the audience. I would bring out emotions of encouragement, inspiration, etc. for our government, no matter that my actual feelings about it were the opposite. This event didn't do anything for my own personal beliefs, but just built my confidence in how to speak in front of an audience or public.  

Being able to speak in front of a large crowd is significant in connecting with people outside of one’s comfort zone. However, when one speaks for what they truly believe in when no one else does, builds one’s character and one not only achieves confidence, but also obtains a following. This is what my father taught me. I never really understood it until I went for the debate competition that I mentioned before. He said this not just to me, but to my siblings as well. None of us understood it until we all were given an opportunity to speak up for ourselves when no one else did. My brother had an opportunity like that. He was a freshman in university and was getting his bearings in his academics and social life. The transition from school to university takes its toll on everybody and my brother was in the same boat. He had his midterms and in one of the exams, my brother was accused of cheating. My brother said that he didn’t cheat, but his friends did not support him. They weren’t sure either. My brother was called in front of the disciplinary committee and he clearly stated that he didn’t cheat. The confidence he exuded at the time confused the committee, even though a faculty member was a witness to it and he brought an almost convincing story. My brother was not fazed. In the end the committee dropped the accusation against him. The truth was that a friend sitting behind my brother was cheating, and because he did not want to get caught, he blamed it on my brother.

Not only did my brother face a challenge with confidence, but he also believed in himself and was not deterred when an entire committee thought he was guilty of cheating. There have been similar circumstances in which many get beaten down for not being able to speak for what they believe, let it be something about themselves or about the government policies of our country. My advice to all is to speak up, before it’s too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment